Introduce yourself! We'd love to meet you :)

Hi @MaxEnger ! I am a cartography student myself and sometimes work as an onboard technician on oceanographic surveys. Your project sounds amazing! Over here in Argentina we are working together with ETER pollution monitor by @juli and friends. They have developed a simple PM sensor, which is cheap and relatively easy to build. We are planning activities on Villa Inflamable, a population that lies next to a petrochemical plant in Buenos Aires. Will be publishing pics over here! When thinking about airborne sensors weight is a variable to take into account. Although the Aerocene Explorer should be perfectly capable of carrying a Dustduino on sunny day. The idea to visualize with ArcMaps is great, as it is an industry standard. As well, we try to push for open hardware & software. I wonder if this could be done with opensource QgisS? In any case, it is great to e-meet you! Here to help :slight_smile: My best, @Joaquin

Hi folks!

I’m a Mechanical Engineering student turned Web Developer. I came across this project on a TED talk and it was one of the most inspiring I’d seen. I’m keen to get involved with a London launch soon and to meet up with any of you that are around here! :slight_smile:
@Joaquin I’d also be keen to have a Skype with you at some point to hear a bit about your intersection of science, art, visualisation and development :slight_smile:

Much love everyone,
Luan

1 Like

Hi @LuanvP, and welcome to the Aerocene community!
We have a nice Aerocene community in London, starting with @sasha who often carries Aerosolar flights with her students. Regarding Data visualization, I’ve been involved with flight predictions and flight data visualization. We have several challenges ahead, and we are always open for some help!
Make sure to check our latest news on social media, links at top of the page. As well my skype is “bongotai”, happy to speak anytime :slight_smile:
Pleasure to e-meet you!

Hi @LuanvP let’s link up about Aerocene in London!
Currently there are two Aerocene Explorers out and about in London. Did you have an idea of where you’d like to launch?
I also recommend a Skype with @Joaquin :slight_smile:
Sasha

1 Like

Hi.
I am from argentina and i am finishing my Mechanical Engineering thesis about numerical simulation of turbulence.

I love flying objects and i like studying fluid mechanics phenomena. Also i find very interesting the environmental, social, and collaborative perspective of Aerocene. I would like to collaborate in the scientific aspects of the project.

And i hope to attend the next launch in buenos aires!

Federico.

1 Like

Nice to e-meet you @fedeberta! Cool, sounds super interesting what you are doing. You should definitely link up with the Aerocene community in Argentina! I think @Joaquin is planning (a few) launches in the coming months outside of Buenos Aires - less windy as I understood it.

Did you read about the Villa Inflamable project?

Hi, here Niccolo, living near Florence (Italy). Some words about me…
I felt in love with GNU/Linux since 1994, I started using it professionally in 1997 and since 2001 I’m exclusively using free and open source software for all personal and professional needs.
I work daily with computers, networking, GPS, maps and telecommunications. I enjoy playing with technology and mechanics, making prototypes with the Raspberry Pi and ridining my motorbike.

2 Likes

Hi, here is Charlène.

I am a student at ENSCI-les ateliers, a school of industrial creation in Paris. As a designer, I developed a research-based practice, linking science to design through various projects (experimental as well as innovation and prospective). The topics I like to explore are close to the one of the Aerocene project.

I am currently at the end of my master’s degree. After having written my thesis on the issues of natural history at the 21st century, my diploma project is now about the observation of fluxes that are shaping the seaside landscape. For this, I realize a citizen science project that suggest a walk thought the coast : 6 kind of objects are showing these fluxes (air, sand, wind, water color…). It offers an aesthetic perception and a scientific observation of it. As part of this project, I would have like to include an aerocene explorer balloon, and use its elevation to make aerial photography of the coastline. I was wondering what was the minimal size for a balloon to fly? And did you already made a « long » installation with it (one week, two weeks?) ? I’m also doing some experiments with mylar and thin PET films.

I look forward to discover the carte blanche events at the Palais de Tokyo! As I am working in Paris, I can help you by doing any kind of volunteering for the workshops :). Also, if you (or people from the community) want to visit our school, I would be really happy to be your guide !

Have a beautiful day,
Charlène.

1 Like

Aló Charlene! Pleased to e-meet you.
Your diploma project sounds amazing! And using one of the Aerocene Explorer solar balloons sounds just right. The size of our tetra shaped balloons is roughly 3 x 3 mts. These are able to lift up to 1,5kg payload on a sunny day. Please bear in mind these balloons can’t fly without light, so only daylight hours flight is possible.
Have you already visited the Carte Blanche show at Palais? We can get you in to the Aerocene room for free. Over here you will find unccountable resources to make you own balloon!
As well there is a super interesting symposium and lots of activities this week!
Please check Palais thread for more details.

Hi dear earthlings,

My name is Eric Mersch. I currently live in Brussels and I discovered the Aerocene project while taking part to a workshop at Palais de Tokyo this December. I have a background in experimental physics, but I’m fascinated by arts, sciences and nature in general and their interconnections. I’m interested in taking part to this project by sharing my questions, ideas, knowledge and my sens of wonder.

2 Likes

This is an amazing image, Joaquin! what does it depict? did you make this??? its so gorgeous!

Hey @shapiro.nick I’m glad you liked it! This is a picture I created for my first and only solo show back in 2012. I found the show catalog and after a quick translation I am pasting it’s original explanation:

Taking as premise an aesthetic search in the visualization of wind, I obtained high precision scientific data (registered with an ultrasonic anemometer) of the entrance of a cold front in the Gulf of San Jorge. Then I processed this data with the help of MatLab scientific visualization program, looking to generate graphs inspired by the design of nautical charts: lines of different dimensions that emerge from the horizon forming angles and following a color scale, thousands of points ordered with greater and lesser concentration, graduations that give an idea of ​​time and intensity. I believe I can see an emergent order appear, using different resources I explain the meaning of the graphic to show the meteorological phenomenon that gives birth to it. This visualization has no place in the world of science since its obsessive precision and aesthetic search are unnecessary, and that’s where I find my own objective: to create a tool that follows the rules of science to observe the temporary nature of a storm, but that makes visible the underlying beauty in the way it happens.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m Charles, glad to have recently joined the team in Berlin, happy to be part of the aerocene experience. I am an interdisciplinary artist, architect and enthusiast for projects that propose new ways of understanding our surroundings.

I hope to meet you soon at the upcoming aerocene events. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all,
I am a visual artist and PhD researcher with a background in industrial technology.

My research interests are in artistic approaches to improving our ‘systemic literacy’ [after James Bridle] of the natural and social systems that drive the planet and our civilisation. I am particularly interested in applying this to energy systems, with the sun as the ultimate force behind all energy systems.

I hav been involved in one successful, though unplanned, free flight of an MAS sculpture :slight_smile: see https://forum.aerocene.org/t/unplanned-museo-aero-solar-free-flight-in-australia-2017/325

1 Like

I missed the chance to properly introduce myself in the Forum! Sorry sorry…
I am Saverio, proud to participate the airborne community in Berlin, enthusiast of visual art, sonic researches and solar propellers without burners! It is my great pleasure to support visual narratives around Aerocene and I am always happy to meet you in the real world under a warm sun ready to catch the good jetstream.

2 Likes

Hola a todxs, acá Maxi Laina. Volviendo del eclipse solar en las sierras Comechingones de San Luis, Argentina. Soy documentalista, y acompaño al proyecto Aerocene creando videos. Saludos!

2 Likes

Dear community,

I would like to give out a hello to everyone in here and out there. My name is Jasper Julius and I just joined the Aerocene Foundation and the Studio Saraceno here in Berlin. I will be helping with the research department and the organisation of the Munich Aerocene Festival.

Personally, I have been working and researching a lot on the re-configuration of the nature-culture relationships we as humans have peacefully and violently established throughout our existence. My interests lay in the approach towards new manners of understanding the link we can establish to the living surrounding that within the rise of modernity has been more and more so become the silent dead outer sphere. How can we live in the upcoming futures, what type of humans do we have to become, who do we have to be in order to re-entangle our bodies and thoughts into that which we are made of: world matter?

Good to be here.

3 Likes

Dear aeronauts of planet earth, it’s about time I introduce myself to the extended aerofamily here in this forum!

I’m Roxanne (Roxy), and joined the Aerocene team here in Berlin at the beginning of June, having been in the extended ecosystem of this Aerohub for over a year, working with Studio Tomás Saraceno in the Research and Communication department. Together with @aeroalice I will be supporting the growth of Aerocene research in Berlin, and look forward to supporting the development of this collective endeavour together with you all!

My personal position is informed majorly by growing up within the British military complex, moving constantly between places and spaces that were never intended nor allowed to become my home, but became so anyway even if I always had to leave, and a lot of the time was never allowed to return nor re-enter the space. This renders me as what has been coined as a “Third Culture Kid”, a being of a culture that is neither one (the “home” culture) nor the other (the “host” culture), and often resulting in a sense of “homelessness” in relation to the national community one is believed to belong to. It is this experience that compells me to Aerocene most strongly, particularly the concept of airnomadism, and the aspect of re-thinking, and hopefully effecutating a paradigm shift in, our relationship with the concept of borders and nation (i.e Land), of belonging and becoming on this shared Planet Earth.

Further, I was lucky enough to be partially raised in Scotland, where the right to roam still carries meaning and practice, although improvement is absolutely still to be had. This paradox between a life enclosed in army camps, and the freedom to roam the vast landscapes of Scotland that followed once my father retired, made that freedom all the more powerful for me as a young being, and I treasure that privilege to this day, trying to keep it alive and thriving by trying to challenge the idea in whatever space I find myself in, that it is inherently ownable and something an individual or collective can ethically restrict from others, both human and non-human.

During my academic training, I moved between Aberdeen (SCT), Nanjing (CHN) and Graz (AUT) and weaved my practice between art, particularly contemporary, German studies and political science, with some experience in economic studies. For now, I will wrap up this post, with an extract from A Man in Assynt, a poem by Norman Mccaig, which graces the external walls of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh:

Who possesses this landscape? –
The man who bought it or
I who am possessed by it?

False questions, for
this landscape is
masterless
and intractable in any terms
that are human.

I can’t wait to meet you all and grow further from the meaningful exchanges that take place within the Aerocene community, I’m always available for a chat!

3 Likes

Hi everyone!
My name is Céliane, currently living in Paris.
I discover the aerocene project and Tomas Saraceno work when I was in art school in the South of France. I start a master in October with project research about contemporary art and how this one can help to create new perspectives, new ways of life and introduce some philosophy questions. I feel real concern and anxious about tomorrow and how we can manage the resilience.
With two friends, we found a little association to try to do our part of that, find some ways to finance new alternatives, new ways of life.
I am always curious about finding new way of thinking or making, I worked as a volunteer for nine-month in a child hospital after my degree of fine arts. And this year, I traveled in British Columbia in Canada, to discover how to live in a community for example. Now, I try to be more attentive about my carbon impact. I try to go to a zero-waste way of life, eat vegan, stop to take the plane and some other alternatives as much I can do.
Not so easy, to introduce myself here, but I think you have maybe the most important information, I will enjoy to meet you to discuss by direct message or at the Munich Festival (about that I am looking for a place to stay, to share a place to sleep the few days of the festival, if some of you have an idea, I am listening!)

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Rupert, an artist and cultural geographer based at Goldsmiths, University of London. Xinwei Zhu (a lecturer at the Beijing Forestry University) and I will be making an Aerocene Explorer and backpack in the coming week for an exhibition that we are putting on at the OCAT Institute in Beijing (http://ocatinstitute.org.cn/en/exhibitions/20/140). We’ll also be introducing the DustDuino particulate sensor to a Beijing audience. The exhibition is entitled The Persistence of Light and Sound and will be looking at atmospheres of excess and absence and the relationship between light and sound. We’ll be including work from Luigi Russolo, Throbbing Gristle and Christiaan Virant, FM3, Nancy Holt, Matthew Schroyer, and Studio Tomás Saraceno. We are unlikely to be undertaking an actual flight in Beijing for the time being, hopefully in spring 2020!

3 Likes