Talks + Think Tanks - join the discussions!

How could values and relations shift through the experience of aerosolar drifting?

The interdisciplinary talks program of the Aerocene Festival synthesises two research nodes of Aerocene’s open-access network of knowledge sharing and production: aeropolitics and aerochange. Bringing the intimate entanglements of economy, politics and ecologies to the fore, individual presentations reflect on how the multitudes of movements, whether human, capital, toxicity, political or cultural imaginaries, are shaping the era of climate crisis in the Capitalocene on Planet Earth, propelled up through the atmosphere and further, to the extended cosmic environment.

Open in spirit and encouraging participation of voices, the following discussions and related Think Tanks complete the Aerocene Festival Talks Program, providing a platform for awakening drifting imaginaries and the speculative prototyping of relations, governance and common values beyond the physical and immaterial borders of our time, towards other possible futures in Aerocene.

Friday 6 Sept, 17—19:30
DRIFT THE POLITICS!

Mediated by Erik Bordeleau
With Tomás Saraceno, Avenir Institute (Denis Maksimov + Timo Tuominen), Susanne Witzgall and many many more.

17:00 Aerocene
Tomás Saraceno

17:30 Introduction to Aeropolitics
Avenir Institute (Denis Maksimov + Timo Tuominen)

18:00 The art of relating differently
Susanne Witzgall

18:30 Open discussion
with Erik Bordeleau, Denis Maksimov, Tomás Saraceno, Timo Tuominen, Susanne Witzgall and all present.

Saturday 7 Sept, 11—13:30
COMMON VALUES, COMMON AIR!

Mediated by Susanne Witzgall
With Erik Bordeleau, Emanuele Braga, Ayushi Dhawan, Beate Engl and many many more.

11:00 Aerocommons: a Cosmos-financial Proposal
Erik Bordeleau

11:30 Powered by - The dilemma of art in outer space
Beate Engl

12:00 Radical Finance
Emanuele Braga

12:30 India’s Shipbreaking Business, Emerging Economies, and the ‘Right to Pollute’
Ayushi Dhawan

13:00 Open discussion
With Erik Bordeleau, Emanuele Braga, Ayushi Dhawan, Beate Engl, Susanne Witzgall and all present.

THINK TANKS, Saturday 7 Sept, from 15:30

ECOLOGIES OF TRUST
Erik Bordeleau

RADICAL FINANCE
Emanuele Braga

DE-POWERING STRATEGIES
Beate Engl

TOWARDS AEROPOLIS
Avenir Institute

Towards the talks and think tanks at Aerocene Festival, we wish to exchange and discuss around the ideas present, aiming to bring your thoughts to the festival and festival-generated-points back to the forum - in this way, we may keep the conversations active between events and facilitated more exchange between forum participants and the events’ local participants.

Some initial readings from the program participant’s work to date: Zero Degree Project for Cooling off Capital Part 1: Initial Ecosystem Offering (IEO); and Part 2: Elements for a Cosmo-Financial Proposal; Re-engineering finance as an expressive medium; Hazardous Hope – The Debate “An Academic Play in One Act”; Hope in the Murky Waters of the International Shipping Industry; Mumbai Deluge 2017: Nowadays Rain Gods Have a New Tool—Plastic Bags!; steɪt əv nəʊlænd: On potent futures post- sovereignty, nationalism & imperialism; Suprapolitics [1]; The Micropolitical Ecology in The Age of Data; Scenarios and Visions based on Experimentations in Alternative Economies: The Case of CommonCoin, FairCoin, and Bank of the Commons; Alternative Currencies: Alternative Economies; Eco-artivismus und Designinterventionen; Nach der Wissenschaft und über die Kunst hinaus.

Do you have any further readings, or watches, that could expand the dimensions of the debate(s)? Let’s discuss!

Mid-Aug, festival papers from all involved will be released - we hope to enjoy diving further into the topics together :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lot of references I need to check as soon as possible! Thanks :heart:
However, everything reminds me “A thousand Plateaus” from Deleuze, a reading which seems really actual for me with a lot of references, questions, analyses who still seem to be present.

I am also thinking about a lot of videos on youtube, but mostly in french and don’t know if they have any subtitles. Like Jacques Fradin who talk about economics, or Jancovici about energies, also there is a little community of YouTubers who are talking about the resilience and the possibility of collapse very soon.

2 Likes

Oh nice @celiasv - can you send the links? Would be interested in watching them, at least those in English (or Eng sub.)

1 Like

So, I think unfortunately there is no subtitles, maybe you can use the automatic translation from youtube (but seems not to be so good, don’t know…)
About economics: Qu'est-ce que l'économie? Jacques Fradin - Chapitre 1 Épisode 1 - (LundiMatin) HD - YouTube
About energies: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRzmHde22Idb8Xbo5MKPwjw
About resilience and collapse: « JE VOUS ENCOURAGE VRAIMENT A REGARDER [ NEXT ] » CYRIL DION - YouTube

I will take the time to read everything you shared and come back after if I think about anything else!

2 Likes

So, I finally took the time to check a little bit everything (but I will have more free time the first few days of September, so maybe I will edit my post then).

I am working on an article which is very close to all these subjects, so it was very interesting for me to check all the links you shared (thank you!). Unfortunately, I am not sure to have enough time to check consciously everything before the festival, so I will just share with you some feelings, comments, and please forgive me if sometimes it is just misunderstanding problems, because my English is still not so good.

Zero Degree Project for Cooling Off Capital - Part 1: Initial Ecosystem Offering (IEO)

I am wondering if the problem is not to still think in an economic way which is dogmatic. It seems not easy to reduce inequality if we still economically manage things. An economic model needs differents value to work (like Jacques Fradin can explain this on the french videos I shared previously). We (maybe) need to think alternatives differently (like someone said in another link, an alternative way of thinking the alternatives).

I (still) think that the book of The Three Ecologies from Félix Guattari is a good reference for all this question and can be a good way to enter in this debate, questions, policies. (Deleuze also!)

We have to be careful with all the words we use to talk about the resilience, the transition. For example, in french if you are talking about “dévellopement durable” you still think in a term of growing (which can be a solution, we need to think the decreasing). Some economists still think that we can separate the biocapacity and the ecological footprint, which are two notions can’t be separated.

The question about the industrial world is also big because maybe we have to think about society in a different way, which is not so easy. That is maybe why we need artists, and to create new artistic education.

I like the remarks about the university.

I agree that we need to think mostly in an “open source” way. The question of ownership is maybe the main problem? Maybe, we have to considerate that we all are just the composition of all the interactions we have with the environment and people we rub, the individuality is not the product of ourself but everything else.

Zero Degree Project for Cooling Off Capital — Part 2: Elements for a Cosmo-Financial Proposal

I am wondering if we still use money which can be translated into the global system, it will still include the value of our global capitalist system, no? Use the blockchain, is not so decentralize because all the transactions are still saved (and monitor?) by the global system. How can we thing way to protect this from all incoming and outcoming undesirable?

Re-engineering finance as an expressive medium

:heart: « hacker attitude and a poetics of experimentation. » :heart:

BUT:

We need to be careful with the speculative aspect… We still use some words, ideas from the capitalist system, is that not too dangerous about founding a new alternative with these kinds of words (and everything they include)?

New words,
New world?

Maybe use only cash and not use a technological system as a credit card or internet transaction can be also a great way to hack the system? (I am wondering…)

Hazardous Hope – The Debate

I agree with the main idea of the article but I also think that we need to inform about what is going one. It can be unimaginable for people who are concern about the climate or social crisis, but we still have a lot of people who haven’t access to a good source of information.

In France, the “Shift project” just lunch a call to sign, to educate and train all the students (after high school) about the crisis. Seems to be a great idea, you can support here.

And I think we also need to form and educate the entire population, is still so hard to find good pieces of information, studies about the alternatives, … We need a way to deconstruct thought, and to learn critical thinking … (ARTS ARTS ARTS AGAIN AND AGAIN).

Hope in the Murky Waters of the International Shipping Industry

I am still sad because again the way to answer is with money. I would like to see the big boss work there in their waste.

Do we need an international instance to protect nature and people in the same way? How can we think that without an oppressive position?

Mumbai Deluge 2017: Nowadays Rain Gods Have a New Tool—Plastic Bags!

:cry:

Denis Maksimov: steɪt əv nəʊlænd: On potent futures post- sovereignty, nationalism & imperialism

I need to watch again because my English is not fluent to understand everything the first time. Nevertheless, it seems interesting. I agree that we believe or believed in what we have today and that the main problem. (but I need to watch again the video to argue more)

The Micropolitical Ecology in The Age of Data

http://www.avenirinstitute.info/texts/2018/9/3/the-micropolitical-ecology-in-the-age-of-data

I am not sure about this one, not too many information in the article. We need to be careful with everything about the big data (it has a huge carbon impact!). As I was wondering before, I am worried about the economics alternatives and currencies and not sure that this can be a good alternative.

We need to educate to understand first of all.

« We learn from experience that it is important not to fetishize the blockchain as a magic technology in itself. Sometimes it is better to hack the concept, understand what it is for, recycle it with different tools and use it in order to achieve whatever we set out to do… »
… (yes!) and don’t never either forget how the blockchain pollute.

The conclude is interesting.

We need to think all the public services differently, but how can we manage this without capitalism and not fall in a fascist system? The alternatives to create are not so easy to think, we need to focus, discuss, again and again about what we want for tomorrow (with everyone).

Emanuele Braga & Paolo Caffoni_ Alternative Currencies: Alternative Economies [Synapse 1]

The value…
…the value.

Susanne Witzgall: Eco-artivismus und Designinterventionen

So sorry, even if I studied german when I was a child, I forgot everything and can’t understand this one…

Nach der Wissenschaft und über die Kunst hinaus

This one is thanks to google translation (so maybe some misunderstanding).

Of course, art can join a lot of questions and be the links between a lot of subjects. We also need to think the art in a more accessible way or to considerate all the artists who tried to create with their communities, like some little theater companies in France.

open possibilities
open horizons
give tomorrow the possibility

Meet the organisers behind PIFcamp in Slovenia

Nice initiative,
hack
hack
hack,
let’s hack everything!

I am so sorry because maybe you will not understand what I have written, it like an answer to all the links shared so maybe it is incomprehensible if you haven’t see the links yet.**

I am reading a book about permaculture, and the philosophy of permaculture, and maybe have we to integrate this meaningful notion?

And at this end, I think that we still need to doubt, doubt about everything, always, never believe that things are fixed, always imagine the wind of new possibilities to create.

Let’s doubt,
Let’s create,
(and never forget to love).

1 Like